The Cretan diet is simple and wholesome, of course with extra virgin olive oil but also with focus on local, fresh fruits, vegetables and fish, a moderate consumption of dairy products and wine, and a low consumption of meat products. The Cretan/Mediterranean diet has been given much attention after studies showed that the inhabitants of Crete have the lowest incidence of cardio-vascular illnesses and cancer.
During you stay, discover the different tastes that Crete, Greece and the Mediterranean has to offer at some of the numerous "tavernas" at the old town of Malia.
- Dolmades - rice filled grape leaves
- Saganaki - pan fried cheese
- Tzatziki - yogurt, with cucumber, garlic and olive oil
- Fakkes - lentil soup
- Horiatiki Salata - Greek salad
- Loukoumades - Greek doughnuts
- Saragli - various nuts with cinnamon and dipped in syrup